Wang Yi Offers Condolences Over East NTT Earthquake at Indonesia-China CSD Meeting

  • 21 Agt 2026 14:57 WIB
  •  Voice of Indonesia

RRI.CO.ID, Jakarta – Minister of Foreign Affairs of China, Wang Yi, expressed his condolences to Indonesia over the earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia and claimed lives. Wang Yi conveyed the condolences during a meeting with Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono at the Indonesia-China Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue (CSD) on Friday, August 21, 2026.

“First of all, allow me to convey condolences to the latest earthquake which caused casualties in eastern Indonesia,” Wang Yi said.

He also expressed his appreciation for the condolences previously conveyed by Indonesia to China over natural disasters that occurred in the country. According to the Minister, the exchange of condolences over disasters reflects the strong brotherly ties and solidarity between Indonesia and China.

“This again shows the brotherly ties and sentiments between us as well as solidarity between our two countries,” Wang Yi said.

He said the various natural disasters that have occurred serve as a reminder that Indonesia and China share the same planet and face common challenges together. “As you said, these natural disasters, they prove very much to the point that we all live on only one planet Earth and we are indeed a community with a shared future,” he said.

Wang Yi affirmed the importance of both countries continuing to strengthen cooperation and jointly respond to various challenges, including natural disasters.

“This it is all the more important for us to strengthen cooperation and jointly respond to all types of challenges,” he said.

Meanwhile, the earthquake first struck the Flores region on Saturday, August 15, 2026, at 4:58 a.m. Western Indonesia Time (WIB), with an updated magnitude of 7.7, triggering tsunami potential in surrounding areas.

The shallow earthquake was caused by tectonic activity along the Flores Back-Arc with a thrust fault mechanism. The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) recorded that as of August 18, 2026, at 5:00 a.m. WIB, a total of 2,119 aftershocks had occurred, ranging in magnitude from M1.3 to M6.2. Of the thousands of aftershocks, 24 registered magnitudes above M5, while 70 were felt by local residents.

google-preference

News Recomendation

Berita Terbaru Lainnya

Memuat berita terbaru.....