NTT Airports Remain Operational to Support Relief Efforts

  • 19 Agt 2026 17:17 WIB
  •  Voice of Indonesia
Key Points
  • Five airports in quake‑hit NTT remain operational to maintain connectivity and support the delivery of relief supplies.
  • Ports across NTT have resumed ship and passenger operations while prioritizing safety after sustaining light to moderate damage.

RRI.CO.ID, Jakarta - Five airports in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) affected by the recent earthquake remain operational to maintain public connectivity and support aid distribution to affected areas.

The airports are Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo, H. Hasan Aroeboesman Airport in Ende, Umbu Mehang Kunda Airport in Waingapu, Frans Sales Lega Airport in Ruteng, and Soa Airport in Bajawa. The Ministry of Transportation said flight services continue to operate with safety as the top priority, despite damage to several facilities.

“The Ministry of Transportation continues to ensure that transportation access in Indonesia, especially in disaster‑hit areas, remains operational,” Transportation Minister Dudy Purwagandhi said in Jakarta on Monday, August 17, 2026, as quoted by Infopublik.

Earthquake damage was found at several airport facilities, including terminal buildings, administration offices, the Aviation Accident Rescue and Firefighting Unit (PKP‑PK) post, supporting facilities, and airside areas. The extent of damage varied at each airport.

Despite the impact, operational services continue. Air connectivity is also being prepared to support disaster response needs, including personnel mobilization, equipment deployment, and aid delivery.

The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has also prepared the Get Airport Ready for Disaster (GARD) scheme to optimize airport operations for humanitarian missions if required.

In locations where tower buildings were damaged, navigation services are being temporarily operated from safe alternative sites under contingency plans. These adjustments ensure continuity of navigation services while maintaining flight safety.

In the maritime sector, the earthquake affected Laurentius Say Port and Reo Port, with light to moderate damage also reported at the ports of Labuan Bajo, Marapokot, Ende, and Waingapu.

Despite the damage, ports in NTT have resumed ship and passenger operations while prioritizing safety. The Ministry of Transportation has set up port posts to support services and monitor post‑earthquake conditions.

“Ports are generally operating normally while prioritizing safety. Port posts have been set up. Pioneer services are operating as usual, and there have been no requests for route deviations,” Minister Dudy said.

In the land transportation sector, pioneer road services are ready to resume operations as road access has become passable. Several routes were previously cut off due to landslides triggered by the earthquake.

The Ministry of Transportation continues to coordinate with the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG), the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), the Indonesian Military (TNI), the National Police (Polri), local administrations, transportation providers, and operators to ensure transportation routes are continuously monitored and that operational decisions reflect conditions on the ground.

According to Minister Dudy, maintaining transportation connectivity is crucial for disaster response, as safe routes are essential for community mobility and for expediting aid distribution to affected areas. ***

google-preference

News Recomendation

Latest News

Loading latest news.....