Australia, Malaysia Stand with Indonesia After NTT Earthquake
- 17 Agt 2026 09:34 WIB
- Voice of Indonesia
Poin Utama
- Australia and Malaysia expressed condolences and solidarity with Indonesia following the magnitude 7.7 earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara.
- The disaster affected around 2,000 people, with 53 deaths reported as authorities continued assessing the impact and evacuation needs.
RRI.CO.ID, Jakarta - Australia and Malaysia have expressed solidarity with Indonesia following the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) on Saturday, August 15, 2026, as authorities continue assessing the disaster's impact and assisting affected communities.
The Australian Embassy in Jakarta conveyed its condolences to victims affected by the earthquake in NTT.
"Australia extends its deepest condolences to our friends and partners in Indonesia, as well as to all those affected by the earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara," the Australian Embassy said in a statement on Sunday, August 16, as quoted by Antara.
A similar message was conveyed by the Malaysian Government through its embassy in Jakarta.
"The Embassy extends its sympathy to residents affected by the earthquake and hopes that the Indonesian authorities will successfully manage the situation on the ground," the Malaysian Embassy said in an Instagram post on Sunday.
The magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck NTT on Saturday morning. According to a preliminary report received by the Indonesian Ministry of Social Affairs, the earthquake affected several areas, particularly Nagekeo, Sikka, Manggarai, West Manggarai, and Ende regencies.
Reports say the earthquake affected around 2,000 people, with the death toll reported to continue rising. As of Sunday, August 16, 2026, at 4:00 p.m. local time, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) confirmed 53 fatalities, up from 51 earlier in the day. ***
Kata Kunci / Tags
News Recomendation
Memuat berita terbaru.....